All posts by RichS

Open Letter to Marin Fellowship

Dear Marin Fellowship ~

I was encouraged by Don L.’s kind and thoughtful letter in the October 1st issue of the Buzz.  I have been unhappy about the adversity stemming from Marin’s efforts to form their own Intergroup.  I think it should be a careful and well considered process – subject to debate, yes, but not invective and sabotage.

Remember, our purpose in Alcoholics Anonymous is to stay sober and help the still suffering alcoholic.  Imagine their reaction if they were to encounter warfare in the organization from which they are desperately seeking help with their alcohol problem.

I feel that Intercounty Intergroup (IFB when I first joined A.A.) has fostered us all these years and we can now thank them for their support and move on to independence and autonomy.  All the other Districts in our Area have broken away from the original San Francisco Intergroup and Marin needs to stand by itself now.

We have had a fine example in San Francisco as well as useful models in Sonoma, San Mateo and Contra Costa, among others, of how to serve our fellowship, and we intend to do just that.

Eventually we will establish the office and bookstore that our Marin fellowship has already requested.  A more immediate benefit will be social activities, no better way to bring the county together to share experience, strength, hope and fun.  Marin has always done this in its various cities and towns, and now we want to offer those dances, BBQs and Alcathons to our whole Marin fellowship.

We would like to support our Service Committees. i.e. PI/CPC, BTG, Teleservice and H&I, and we would like to encourage others such as Accessibilities to become active here.  Members have asked for more meetings with childcare, more LGBTQ meetings, and there is no better forum than this Marin website to communicate those needs and look for solutions.

Thank you, Don, for opening the doors to the relationship between us remaining friendly.  We should remain “friendly with our friends”.

In love and service,   Jennifer K.

EDITOR’S NOTE – THE BUZZ ARTICLE REFERRED TO ABOVE CAN BE FOUND HERE

MI2020 MEETING NOTES – SEPTEMBER 2018

Meeting of September 3, 2018 7:00PM

Present: Charles P, Cathy P, Scott M, Rich S, Jennifer K, Rosie C, Shurray M, Carolyn M, Pat P
Planned absences: Bill L, Tom B, Kristin Y

Website – Rich Many hits; posting all events; now have emails: webmaster@aamarin.org.
Can finally receive donations for MI 2020 on the website through PayPal; we’ve added a notice that groups joining MI 2020 can still support Intercounty Intergroup financially if desired. GSO Intergroup Guidelines are now available as a pdf on the website.

Presentations – Rosie Ten presentations to groups completed; 8 more scheduled. To have a presentation of the Marin Intergroup Proposal to your steering committee contact aamarin.org

New Business –
Marin Service Committees are under General Service because we don’t have an Intergroup.
When we do have one, both SF and Marin will be self-supporting and right sized.

The MI 2020 table at Unity Day will provide lots of info and also schedule Presentations for groups. Anyone who would like to help with creating our Marin Intergroup, contact patp@aamarin.org

7th Tradition –
Donations: $28.00 New Balance: $304.00

Respectfully submitted,
Pat P
for Marin Intergroup 2020

MI2020 MEETING NOTES – AUGUST 2018

Meeting of August 6, 2018
Serenity Prayer
Present:  Cathy P; Charles P; Scott M; Rich S; Jennifer K; Bill L; Tom B; Rosie C; Pat P
Planned Absences:  Mary Lou, Maryelle, Liz, Kristen, Anil
Proposals for Marin Fellowship Intergroup to Steering Committees:
Thank you to Rosie C! She has agreed to handle the scheduling for Proposals to be presented at meetings.  We have realized it is better to have two people share the responsibility at the meetings. Our process has evolved to passing out the Proposal and FAQs; then taking turns reading all through both.  Only then do we have Q&A.
At the beginning of the meeting, the presenter should clarify the purpose of the meeting:  it is to decide whether or not the group wants to become a member of MI 2020 and consider also financially donating it as they choose. We schedule a follow-up connection at the end of the presentation.
It was suggested that we also present to Service Committees. e decided that will be approached after we have more experience presenting to regular groups.
At this point four presentations have been made, with the decision pending.  Five others are scheduled for August. We now have seven presenters available.
Website:
Rich Smith has been doing a fabulous job on creating and maintaining aamarin.org.  He adds event flyers whenever they are forwarded to him. Currently he is setting up our email address and also a donation link.  He has created a Group Registration Form on the left side of the home page. We are currently averaging about 500 hits a week. The business cards have been very well received.
After much discussion, the group decided to wait until after Unity Day to have the Proposal and FAQs posted on aamarin.org.  At the September meeting we will discuss further whether this is best done via PDF forms, or as a Power Point, or a video.
Any person can use the contact form on the website to request being contacted to schedule a presentation to their group’s steering committee.
Treasurer:
A treasurer is now needed for MI 2020.  Charles has done a great job and is ready to turn it over for more specific bookkeeping.  We will ask in September who is available.
Meeting Location:
Pat is researching possible centrally located church halls for our meetings as they grow.  After excellent thorough debate, it was decided that either Corte Madera or San Rafael would be workable for people from all over the county.  The idea is tabled for now, as we focus on contacting groups to inform them of the Proposal.
7th Tradition:  Previous Balance:  $152.00
Donations:  $284.00 New Balance:  $436.00
Respectfully submitted,
Pat P
Marin Intergroup 2020

 

MI2020 MEETING NOTES – JULY 2018

Hello MI 2020 Supporters!
SUMMARY OF JULY 2, 2018 MARIN INTERGROUP 2020 MEETING:
Last evening we had an exciting and effective planning session.
Present:
Shurray M, Rosie C, Bill L, Rich S, Scott M, Cathy P, Kristin Y, Charles P and myself.  (Also, indicating approval prior to the meeting were: Tom B, Maryellen O, Jennifer K, Leroy, Kevin B, and Anil K.)
We approved the revision of the Proposal for a Marin Intergroup which will be presented to Marin Groups and their Steering Committees beginning this month. Yay!
We are also preparing a FAQ sheet and other materials to leave with the groups when we present. The GSO publication “Guide to Central and Intergroup Offices” will be included.
We are ordering business sized cards (similar to those used by the East Bay Intergroup) which will let more people know about the aamarin.org website.
Cathy P is considering how we can make it clear that the Proposal is grounded in the 12 Traditions.
So, when it feels right, ask your home group to host a presentation and let me know the date requested. We will arrange for someone to come and help your steering committee or whole group get a sense for the next steps and the long-range vision for Marin A.A. Two group presentations are already scheduled!
It feels great to be at this point in our work for Marin!

Please reply if you would like to become more involved in this ground-breaking phase of Marin serving the still-suffering alcoholic.

In service with you,
Pat P